Thanks to advances in telemedicine and monitoring, care received at home rivals that delivered in a hospital or facility setting. Numerous studies show that most patients prefer to receive treatment at home, in a comfortable and familiar environment. Patients are more content and feel more secure.
Rehab facilities and home care differ significantly; they’re not meant to be permanent residences. They can provide care for someone following surgery, a stroke, infection, or illness. Sometimes these conditions require IV therapies, antibiotic administration, wound care, or other forms of medical care – all services which can also be administered at home.
The Pros and Cons of Rehab Facilities
Inpatient care does have some benefits. These facilities should have adequate material resources and professional care to address the patient’s medical needs. Your loved one should have access to specialist treatment to ensure a smooth recovery.
Staying in a rehab facility also can offer peace of mind that comes with supervised care from skilled professionals. Licensed nurses, CNAs, and other medical staff are on location 24/7, helping with a steady recovery for your loved one.
Conversely, a stay of just a few weeks in a rehab facility can feel like an eternity to many patients. This can dampen the patient’s spirits, which can lead to depression and slow the recovery process. Patients can feel bedbound or institutionalized.
There’s also the increased risk of infection due to the close proximity of other patients recovering from an untold number of illnesses. An infection interrupts recovery and increases the risk of the patient being readmitted to the hospital. Healthcare-associated infections are a significant threat to patient safety.
Why Patients Prefer Home Care
If your loved one’s needs are not acute and don’t require inpatient services, home care is the best solution. Your loved one can heal at their home while receiving the care and therapy they need.
There are many benefits to receiving care at home. According to multiple studies, a significant advantage is that patients recover faster in the comfort of their homes. They are much more relaxed and trusting of the care and services they’re receiving from a loved one or a reputable and caring home health care agency.
Other benefits include:
- Activities of daily living are supported. Assistance with dressing, bathing, toileting, and other activities preserve their dignity and help maintain a good quality of life.
- Skilled nursing care can be delivered at home. Supervised nurses trained and certified in high-tech medical equipment can ensure that your loved one’s complex medical needs are met.
- Medication management is ensured. Meaning the proper medications are being taken at the correct times to control health conditions and prevent harmful drug interactions.
- Home health care professionals provide companionship from someone who cares. Social interaction helps aging adults remain healthier. Home health aides often become trusted friends who share in activities such as walks, cards, reading, meals, and more. They can also accompany your loved one on errands such as medical appointments, prescription pickup, and grocery shopping.
- Support with diet and nutrition is provided. Those recently discharged from a hospital are likely to be nutritionally at-risk, and there can be a significant loss of lean body mass. Nutritional counseling and home-cooked meals by home care professionals protect your loved one against malnutrition.
Why More and More Seniors are Choosing Adultcare Assistance Homecare
When possible, using home care has many advantages over a stay in a rehab facility. Adultcare Assistance Homecare (AAH is a locally owned agency with a 20-year track record of success). Our highly trained caregivers can step in and complement home health care. Providing your recovering loved one with the care they need in the comfort of their own home.
Our home care services include respite care, companion care, medication reminders, senior transportation, light housekeeping, and even 24-hour live-in assistance.
To learn more about our award-winning services, or to get a FREE home care assessment for a senior in Phoenix, Sun City, or Tucson, AZ, today, please visit AAH at www.adultcareassistance.com.